Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Of all the gin joints...

I've been meaning to do a post on this for a few weeks now and since I am going to be fairly busy with the imminent move down to Boston (48 hours and counting) I thought my loyal blog readers (of which I am told there actually are a few) could use a little red meat to chew on. Okay, not so much red meat as self-absorbed navel gazing...

As I occasionally check on my stat counter to see who is visiting my little corner of the internet, I have noticed that there are a number of google search terms that seem to keep showing up on a regular basis as entry pages to Prairie Fire. With Google fast becoming the source for most people's day to day information on, well, EVERYTHING it is actually somewhat shocking to learn that through the thought process of the Google hive-mind, this little blog might actually be a Google recommended authority on something.

So the first few that pop up often are things that aren't that surprising at all - my name and the name of the blog (though I do have to say it was surprising how regularly people seem to be googling my name!):

Prairie Fire Blog

Ryan Androsoff

Prairie Fire

Then of course are people and things that I have written about:

Ryan Bater

Arthur Kroeger

the dropjoys

Serge LeClerc

Now the most surprising are the phrases which to me seem fairly obscure (and thus why are people googling them?) or alternatively quite common which you would think a million other monkeys in front of keyboards would have written about a million other times. As it turns out, Prairie Fire is consistently getting links from Google search results for a pretty eclectic group of phrases, including:

read my middle finger

How do I write serge leclerc?

1 2 3 4 penguins that are by the door

Karma It's a Bitch

Me thinketh thou doth protest too much

obama open mic

The Old Grey Mare She Ain't What She Used To Be

that's gold jerry

Saskatchewanisms

What is Stephen Harper Reading

Finally, the one I found most surprising - Trau Vang. This is my Vietnamese nickname that I was given when I was working there about 18 months ago. It means Golden Buffalo and is a fairly common term there - in fact for Trau Vang there are 582,000 entries and for Trâu Vàng 1.28 million. Yet out of all of these, Google puts Prairie Fire as the first search result. Who'd of thunk it!